Friday, April 3, 2020

My Fry-Chef Facial Ornament Fends off Corona


It's ugly as sin and, in non-pandemic times, worth less than one percent of the almost-thirteen euros I shelled out for it. It was advertised as a mask for reducing splatter when cooking. The photo, however, depicted a girl in a surgical mask, accessorized with the splatter guard.

I figured:
(1) It'll fit around my head with the attached elastic band--better than the twine-and-rubber-band arrangement I made for myself.
(2) It covers my entire face--if someone coughs on the back of my head (but I'd never let them get close enough to try) I might still be okay
(3) It's better than nothing. Even though the plastic is so grainy I couldn't tell if the potato chips I was purchasing for my vegan child passed muster.

See for yourself:

Keeps off rain--so keeps out somebody's sneeze?

I see why Amazon's not selling this one anymore. Plus, it's smaller than it looked in the ad--but desperate times call for desperate measures. Having just retrieved a roll of plastic "tarpaulin" from the package shop, I plan on making a few masks of my own. Bigger, clearer plastic, maybe even better.

P.S. In all fairness, the thing is better than I realized at first--a thin layer of additional plastic made itself known--I thought I was looking at a sticky price tag residue--and when I removed that, the thin layer of plastic came off. So the mask is now clearer. Not very thick plastic, but hey--still keeps off rain. And so, presumably, viruses.

No comments:

Post a Comment