Saturday, March 28, 2020

I Dream of Facepalming

--And it's not always a nightmare. Sometimes it's happy. I cringed when I saw Anthony Fauci placing his hand on his forehead in a reserved effort to cope with POTUS. I was yelling at the TV, "Take your hand off your face! We need you! We remember what you did for AIDS research and treatment!" But I dream of the day when I can scratch my nose. When I don't think twice about doing so, or even notice that I've scratched it. I learn new skills--wonder if I can unroll toilet paper with my elbows? How long do I have to stay six feet away from people in the park, and does it count if I hold my breath when I have to pass someone with only two feet between us?
Invisible enemies are the stuff of science fiction, normally. A few weeks ago all our talk was off getting a tree surgeon for the dead pine in the yard, finding a service that did basement mold, but even then our neighbor said, "oh, you could do it yourself if you could get those N95 masks--"
--"what are those?"I asked.
"Oh, but you can't get them now anyway," he said, "there's some new illness." We had all heard something about some new illness and I figured the basement could wait.
The basement is waiting, along with everything else. 
I read aloud to one of my kids today. When you're concentrating on turning pages, you're not touching your face. 
It was a good book, too.

5 comments:

  1. What was the book? I just returned from grocery shopping for my 80-something neighbors. I wear latex gloves and they keep me from touching my face, but make me feel like a burglar. I'm sure that soon it will be the new normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaim Potok's The Chosen--which I'll be teaching soonish, online, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manhattanite here: The streets are empty which makes sleeping a bit better in our apartment high above 2nd Avenue. Grocery stores are still open, but with limited stock. Our son who still can go out got about 60% of my list from the local Whole Foods. There was a line to get in.

    The local grocery stores have instituted special shopping hours for senior citizens, disabled people and the immune compromised. I qualify, but the thought of leaving my nice cozy bed to shop between 7 and 8 AM is a non-starter.

    He teaches English as a 2nd language, and his school has closed for now, so he teaches the few students who are left online for several hours a day. He does not like teaching online, but it is a lifeline until it closes down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, stay safe! Latex gloves, mouth guards, plastic face mask from whatever you have. Sounds like the apocalypse.
    Here in my neighborhood in Germany, I can still go out and really avoid people--take a walk in the forest. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A walk in the forest! What an amazing idea, and glad you are still able to commune with nature. I have to stay in. My son reports that the parks are very crowded when he goes out for long bike rides after teaching online for 4-6 hours a day. Here, they are building tent-hospitals in Central Park, across from Mt. Sinai, where he was born. Javits has been converted into a hospital. A Navy Hospital Ship arrived this morning at a pier on the West side, near 50th Street. A friend who can still go out reports their is a huge refrigerated truck near the service entrance at Lenox Hill, one of our many local hospitals.

    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete