Saturday, April 18, 2020

Garlic is the Secret of Stir-Fry (and Other Tips for Cooking in Corona-Times)

If you have a wok, it should never see a meal without garlic. Red onions if you're somehow out of garlic, but how could you be? It's the very first thing I always make sure I have enough of.
Here's how I cook:  I look at what I have and type those items into Google, adding the word "recipe." But hint: I always have good ingredients. I can't imagine a kitchen without the following:

Enough garlic to sink a battleship
A hunk of fresh ginger
Red onions
Bell peppers
Tomatoes
Scallions
Bananas
Apples
Berries
Olive oil
Plant oil
Coconut milk
Peanut butter
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
"Variety" salt--you know, the kind that comes with rosemary or thyme and a few other fancy things in it. 

It's also always good to have other green veggies around: broccoli, spinach, peas. Frozen versions of these are just fine, especially now. 

The recipe pictured above was easy. I knew I had a pack of boned chicken, and figured it wasn't quite enough to satisfy the energetically hungry eighteen-year-old. But then I remembered we had a massive garlic sausage in the fridge, and I felt inspired. Assemble the following:

Wok
plant oil (rapeseed oil, sunflower oil)
Dish of chopped garlic. Lots. There's never enough.
Sliced yellow bell pepper (other colors will do. The green ones never taste as good to me)
Blanched asparagus (in other words: rinse, slice into chunks, throw in boiling water for, like, three minutes; drain).
Sliced garlic sausage
Sliced hunks of boned chicken
Garlic powder, salt, or "salt with benefits," any fancy kind. 

(On the side, of course, you've got the rice stoked away in the rice cooker.) Any rice. I like sticky rice, so I opened a pack of black glutinous rice, realizing I didn't have time to soak it for hours and steam it in the bamboo steamer. I put the rice in a bowl, poured very warm water over it, stirred and drained. I did that five times. Then into the rice cooker it went, with exactly ONE cup of cold water to the ONE cup of rice. So the rice was all taken care of by the time I put oil in the wok and threw in the garlic. Then the sliced peppers. Then the sliced sausage. Let all that sizzle. Throw the asparagus into the boiling water. After three minutes, drain it. Add the contents of the wok to the asparagus. Set aside. Throw a little more oil into the wok and let it get hot. Now, throw in the chicken pieces--which you've sprinkled with garlic powder and any kind of salt and pepper you like--and stir fry. When the chicken's almost done, which takes about three minutes, throw in the asparagus-sausage-garlic-pepper mix. Stir. Serve with rice and white wine: 





7 comments:

  1. Are you as confined as I am? The doc says not to go out, but I have escaped our apartment 3 times, with a mask and gloves, for an hour or so, since 1 March.

    Your recipes look good, but a bit complicated. I still cook every day, and am reaching back into the depths of my 2 pantry cabinets, 2 refrigerators, and 2 freezers to supplement what we can buy easily in the way of vegetables.

    Cooking at home for every meal is an act of creativity every day. I miss sushi and pedicures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I escape all the time. I now wear a surgical mask (or cloth one) to go biking or walking--but when I buy groceries or go to the pharmacy, I add a plastic face shield, accessorized by Nitrile or Latex gloves. Perfume by Isopropyl alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I send you my husband? You are missing yours, so I will offer you mine for FREE. You can share your versions of growing up in Manhattan. He grew up in 10 rooms on 5th in the 70's with three in help. I think his family built several houses in the Hamptons with pools and tennis courts for the shrinks they saw for decades.

    You might like him. He's P'70, NYU IFA ABD. He collects dictionaries, and is quite well read, much better than I, but is now driving me crazy in what is now almost 2 months of confinement. I can get him a one-way ticket to Germany with our accumulated airline miles.

    The nightly 7PM NYC scream is taking place right now, and in addition to the yelling and noisemaking, the bugles, dogs and car horns have joined in. Somewhat useless, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband sounds lovely. My family probably would have been part of the hired help--giving music lessons. Oh, do I have tales of that--one of my father's colleagues actually gave lessons (also on 5th or Park in one o' them apartments the help can't find its way out of--a thing that happened to me once when I was tutoring a kid whose mom looked Jocelyn Wildenstein after her leopard-face plastic surgery)to the young Roy Cohn. There's another post on this blog about that somewhere.
    Yes, I miss my husband terribly. You're seriously trying to ship him off? Hmmm. I'm jist a girl who cain't say no!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A18kYnP4Pec

    ReplyDelete
  5. The husband unit is a bit wacky, but I think you'd provide him with better food than I do and a chance to relax somewhere other than here. He knows much more about the MLA than I do, and probably has slightly more than my miniscule knowledge of German and a bit of French which eluded me completely. He loves reading the New Yorker, the NY review of books and all of those literary periodicals.

    He's all yours if we can figure out a way to make this work!

    Being confined for weeks with my husband and son in our apartment has been difficult.

    Cooking is also our outlet. I made this yesterday, after putting it off for years: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam

    Our son made a special Mothers' Day Pizza tonight, and it was delicious. Sourcing is a problem, and he waited an hour to get into Whole Foods on East 57th Street this afternoon.

    I snagged some organic whole wheat King Arthur flour on Amazon that is supposed to arrive on Monday! Yes, I am thrilled--anything related to baking has been out of stock for weeks in our neighborhood.

    Strange what makes us happy during this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to tell you that the DH was a star dancer at Viola Wolf's classes. We married within a few months of meeting and he did not know that I had two left feet, despite my Mum's efforts in sending me to ballet, tap and modern dance classes. He puts up with me as a bad dancer, but I am sure you and he would would have a fine time on the dance floor!

      Delete
  6. Your husband sounds delightful. Hmmm. I'm not going to put up identifying material here, but you can probably figure out who I am and try writing . . .if you like.

    ReplyDelete