Sunday, March 22, 2020

Corona Fashion: Safety, Infection-Style


Back in the day, the Bubonic-plague day, doctors dressed like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Paul_F%C3%BCrst%2C_Der_Doctor_Schnabel_von_Rom_%28coloured_version%29.png


The gloves, leather because latex hadn't been invented. The beak on the mask to store rosemary, cloves, cinnamon, and other spices thought to dispel infection. You can still buy, today, or make for yourself, "thieves oil," a slightly greasy concoction containing these herbs (often others as well) that was originally used by persons who wished to rob the pockets of the dead. Over the centuries, the notion that this stuff prevents infection has stayed with us. It smells like a Christmas cookie and is better than nothing if you run out of hand sanitizer and soap, and when Amazon still hasn't delivered the final ingredient, hydrogen peroxide, of the hand sanitizer you're planning to make at home.
I go for the Bubonic plague doctor's coverall look. Instead of a long black robe and that wide-brimmed hat, I used my hooded raincoat. Since Amazon also isn't delivering the dental face mask I ordered for another month, I've put together my own, using a vinyl sheet from a folder designed to protect term papers, some bubble wrap, tape, twine, and rubber bands. When I go to Edeka--which I've got to do, since nobody's delivering right now--this will be my fashion statement--and I won't forget my latex gloves:
Okay, not a fashion statement--better than nothing, though.


I pull the hood of the raincoat tight, so the ends of the mask jutting out in this photo round my chin and I look like I'm wearing a tube. Yes, I can breathe, though I've added a homemade face mask--folded up and taped a Siemens vacuum cleaner bag--not pictured here. The Wirecutter says to use only under "desperate" circumstances--I now consider my upcoming trip to the local Edeka and the pharmacy a desperate circumstance. This mask, without my welder-chic thing, above, is only 4% less effective than the real thing, which is on backorder from Amazon. But I'm not photographing myself in my Siemans accessory--definitely doesn't pretty me up.


P.S. For solid medical advice--the salient point being wear a mask to remind you not to touch your face, and washing your hands, see this front-line Cornell-Weill doctor's talk:




















2 comments: