Wednesday, March 18, 2020

In Plague Times

It's a good time to read a fantastic Italian tale--The Decameron--set in fourteenth-century Florence, Italy, during an epidemic of Bubonic plague. Ten young people, so Boccaccio's story begins, decide to self-isolate in an uninhabited villa outside the city in hopes avoiding a death just as awful, and even uglier, than that caused by corona virus. Without social media or any other modern convenience, they keep their spirits up by telling stories, and that's the meaning of the title, drawn from the Greek, which translates as ten stories in ten days. The seven young women and three young men avoid all physical contact, but vent their feelings in a series of ravishingly erotic and funny yarns, with just a few tragic ones thrown in for contrast. The book inspired Chaucer's raciest stories, like the Miller's Tale, involving a gorgeous young woman, her two suitors, and her hapless husband--that's the G-rated version of the tale. 

In my latex hospital-grade gloves--worn partly for protection, partly to remind me not to touch my face--I went to the local DM, where we had to stand outside in a line--we chose to stand about three feet apart from each other--because only three or four customers were allowed in the store at once. I'm glad I ordered toilet paper from Amazon while I still could, along with the ingredients for hand sanitizer. 

When I was out on the street, a man standing a good fifteen or twenty feet away sneezed loudly without covering his nose and then, for good measure, coughed. I edged as far away as possible, darting into Edeka where there's still plenty of produce but no paper products of any kind. Occasionally passing people on the street, I held my breath. 

Germany has 11,973 cases, up 2,606 since yesterday, and the U.S. 7,687, up 1,276. But Germany has lost 28 people to corona virus, and the U.S. 117--already. 

Update, March 21: According to World-0-Meter, the USA now has 19,774 cases, 391 new since yesterday, and 275 deaths. America has almost caught up to Germany, which has 19,848 cases, 68 deaths.
We are all mortal, but Germany excels at planning, managing, organizing, cleaning, and rule-following--traits that, when they emerge in relation to any art form, are profoundly destructive.

But in an epidemic, these annoyances are just the ticket. I can't think of a location I'd rather  contract this illness in, if I were compelled to do so. I hope, of course, that I'm among the lucky, but time will tell.









3 comments:

  1. We aren't taking it seriously enough yet here on the island off the coast of Florida where the husband, dogs, and I will ride out the virus. Yesterday, we took our usual long walk on the beach, only this time the beach was flooded with people, many of them groups of 20 or so college students. No social distancing being practiced. I fear soon no one will be allowed on the beaches, and it makes me understand why laws are so often become black and white: either everyone is allowed, or no one is allowed. With the coronavirus set to roll over us here, it's going to be no one allowed.

    I also think, apropos your comments about Germany, that the less authoritarian the government (Germany isn't authoritarian now, but plenty of living people there remember when it was!), the harder it will be to corral people and make them behave. In Paris, people protesting their curtailed liberty are biting police officers and spitting on them. I cannot imagine that happening in Germany, though it may well happen a few places in the U.S. Stay safe!

    PS: There's no toilet paper, eggs, alcohol (of the rubbing variety), or hand sanitizer available in the stores near us. On the other hand, Amazon has hired 100,000 new workers, so we will begin ordering stuff online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I just downloaded Stephen King's "The Stand," about a pandemic that wipes out 99.9 percent of the world population. I'm in the mood for some genre fiction before I begin my summer fiction chronicle of literary novels & short stories for the HR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.I can somehow imagine the Liberté-Egalité-Fraternité crowd losing it, but Germans love nothing more than rules and regulations. I think they're lonely, but entirely comfortable with the shutdown of everything but groceries and pharmacies.

    ReplyDelete