Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The Critical Mom and the Maskless Mansplainer

They're called "Querdenkers" here in Germany, a term that used to mean "maverick" or "unconventional" but now implies "dangerous" and "lunatic." They've been spotted among my children's teachers, yes, an unmasked person giving an unmasked talk about his supposed civil rights being violated in front of an unmasked audience. All on social media. And then this dude is back in the classroom, resentfully manslipping his mask, that is, letting it slide below his nose. 

We stepped into the elevator, my child and I, in our FFP masks, and never before or since have I wished that I'd had more than a meter's distance between myself and other person. 

The bald, leather-jacketed fellow wore no mask, but I'd assumed he was heading home, alone, so felt no need of protection. We stepped into the corner. 

But he turned toward us, eyes blazing, and announced: "You know, those masks don't do anything. They don't prevent viruses."

We wanted to inch even further into the corner, but were unable to do so.

"If there's another lockdown," he said, "Well, I hope there won't be another lockdown!" He rolled his massive shoulder proudly, as if they would have looked insecure if he'd had a mask on. 

After less than two minutes, we were in the open air. 

Manslippers, mansplainers: put your FFP2s on and behave yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment