Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Pasta While the Capitol Burns

Okay, Nero's not playing his violin. The dead aren't jumping out of their graves and wandering the streets; the horses aren't eating each other. But it's bad. The Trumpistos are out there; the police aren't using tear gas or rubber bullets--they're not nearly as violent as they were at peaceful Black Lives Matter protests. The MAGA folks aren't exactly the "fierce fiery warriors" in Julius Caesar,  but they still

drizzled blood upon the Capitol.
The noise of battle hurtled in the air.
 
Nobody's rounding these rowdies up. What to do? Hole up in a place far, far away--I'm in an order-loving neighborhood of an order-loving city in order-loving Germany. Traffic noise all but disappears when I shut my window. I stare at CNN in sorrow and then, since I can't magic away the bad guys or erase Trump's latest rot about the election being stolen, I cook. 

This is what I made:

Call it Pasta Insurrectionista. Details: 

I went to my local REWE, where I shopped among the masked octogenarians, purchasing that fennel sausage I love so much, two little bags of fresh spinach, red onions.

At home: I chopped the red onions, put them in the olive-oil-drizzled pan. Added chopped garlic. How much? Lots. Around ten cloves. Added the sausage, each one sliced into four or five pieces. Stir. Add the spinach. Stir. Add a sliced tomato. Stir. Boiled water, added four-cheese tortellini. Boiled two minutes, drained, added to sausage mix. Add freshly ground pepper. Stir. Grate Parmesan or Asiago. Voila! A glass or two of red wine help to blot out the reality on the screen.

P.S. Also watched the second Borat.

2 comments:

  1. This is making me hungry...and it's only 10 a.m. in Florida. Imagine living here, not just watching it. We'd like to think Trump finally did himself in (getting banned from Twitter the biggest "time out" the toddler-in-chief has ever suffered), but time will tell. Here we await the inauguration with trepidation and longing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I hope our outgoing POTUS just dissolves like the Wicket Witch of the West after somebody throws a pail of criticism over him. "I'm sweating!" He'll say. "I'm sweaaaatinnnnnggggggg . . . .ahhhhhh . . . . eeee . . . ."

    ReplyDelete