Friday, August 25, 2023

First Cold After Covid

I never had it and my rapid test says I don't have it now. But I do have something. I woke up with a stuffy nose, a scratchy throat and the kind of malaise that makes you want to pull the covers over your head and wake up two days later. Hoping to stave off the incipient cold, I had a glass of red wine and a bowl of chicken-flavored ramen noodles when I woke up with the feeling, around two a.m., that I was coming down with something. Both soothed my throat, but the only real cure is time . . . the cups of fruit tea with honey, lemon and ginger I will drink, the mugs of scalding hot water with salt I will gargle, will make me feel I'm battling my enemy. That feeling of being virtuous will decrease the dullness of recovery. It was so hot and humid on the trains returning from Slovenia, which has terrific museums in Llubjana, the gorgeous Julian Alps and the dreamy Adriatic sea, that I didn't wear a mask, but I'm taking up mask-wearing again. Can't hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you got in another great summer vacation! Travelling on public transportation without an N95 and latex gloves, in your situation, is foolish. I wear a mask and gloves whenever I take the M15 down 2nd Avenue to go to and from my appointments at NYU-Home Depot. The DH does the procurement missions, but if I had to do them myself, I would not go into a supermarket without a mask and gloves

    Thank you for reminding me of my trip to Dubrovnik in the summer of '73. Deck seats on the ferry down the Adriatic coast from the Istrian peninsula, after a beautiful train ride from Venice, cost 5 bucks. Took lots of singles--American Dollars were prized by the locals at that time. Stayed with a local family--the women came down to meet the boats and offer Room? Zimmer? Air BNB before its time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I travel with those Korean K95 masks you can hardly breathe through. No gloves, but I always have hand sanitizer!

    ReplyDelete