Thursday, August 18, 2022

How To Get Through Your PET/MRI Scan

You'll wish you'd asked for the ear plugs. They offered you the headphones and you thought you'd be fine. You had the sense to remove your contacts. Confined to a motionless reclining state, most people my age find themselves waking only when the mechanical voice tells them to breath, exhale, and stop breathing. When I followed instructions, I felt proud, holding my breath for a really long time. 

Here's what it really sounds like inside the tube: fifty jackhammers backed by sledgehammer-swinging dwarfs with a few howls thrown in. I don't recommend the aesthetics.

But like many a mom, I can sleep in most places, especially when compelled to lie still. I can tell you I had strange dreams.

A few tips:

(1) Pee before you lie down. At least twice. You'll be in there a long time: 20-45 minutes.

(2) Don't have claustrophobia

(3) Don't be surprised when you're asked to remove anything that might have metal in it (they even gave me a surgical mask since the FFP2 has metal wiring over the nose).

(4) You'll get green or blue scrubs to wear. Pretend you're an extra on Gray's Anatomy. You get to keep your underwear and socks.

(5) Sound effects: imagine a lunatic, bizarrely unharmonious anvil chorus. Try to distract yourself by playing the real thing in your head:


I'm told the newer machines actually play music. How you hear it over the "clang, clang!" and "whomp, whomp!" and "yowl, yowl" I can't imagine. 

(6) When the technician injects the radioactive dye, ask if you'll light up like a Christmas tree. Ha ha, but no hugging pregnant women or toddlers. I tried to steer clear of any female large of belly on the tram ride home.

(7) Drink lots of water (at least a liter) to get rid of said dye. No wine today!

(8) Understand you'll feel disoriented after the procedure and spend a minute figuring out where you are and how to find your way from the bowels of the hospital building back to where you came from. Think of Dante emerging from the Inferno.

2 comments:

  1. They ask me if there is music I prefer hearing during my MRI. The classical music I ask for offers me tinny renditions of pieces I don't recognize. Their Broadway offerings all seem to come from recent Disney shows. I'd actually be happy with anything by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Cole Porter, Rogers and Hammerstein and Ivor Novello are probably on no MRI playlist, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you at least got music! We just get "whomp, whomp" and those other weird noises! Good to hear from you.

      Delete