Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Accidental Gardener: A Tale of Uncertainties

I was always fond of plants, but now I'm buying them the way some people scoop up detergent or panty hose on sale. We've acquired approximately nine plants since we moved in, plus the avocado seed I'm trying to grow. I did what has worked in the past: dump the seed in lukewarm water in a coffee cup, so that half of it is above water, and set it in the sun. Lo! The seed shows signs of germinating, namely splitting halfway down the middle, dramatically. If I'm lucky a thin green stalk will be sticking out of the seed some morning soon. 

I bought a bag of potting soil at the local Edeka, stuff that claimed it was good for all balcony and house plants, and I re-potted a few that were getting a bit cramped in their original pots. I didn't notice the smell until later: fertilizer? As in, cow manure? Whatever was wafting strongly across the living room sure stank. Meanwhile, the avocado seed's already dug its little heels into the dirt, and I hope is satisfied. This all-purpose soil might not be "loamy" enough; let's hope it doesn't give our little plant high blood pressure. Here's how things look at present:



According to the package, however, there's nothing but "plant" or composted plant material in that earth. "Just wait a few days," said a friend, "the smell will go away." Or I could add more coffee grounds--they're just filled with nutrients!--to camouflage the odor. 

 Here are some of the avocado seed's neighbors: a sweet little lemon tree, a sturdy cactus, and a God Knows What thingie with pink buds that seems happy on the sunny windowsill:


The lemon tree was advertised as having a "lovely aroma." We could sure use a lovely aroma around here, but maybe the lemons (which are still green and slowly turning yellow) aren't strong enough to produce it yet. Lemon tree, very pretty . . . 

Here are a few of the larger members of the clan:


And here's the one making us keep the balcony door open most of the time!

And a few of the ones needing, theoretically, less light. The rubber tree got a little sunburned before I put it here . . .  one leaf started going orange. 

I love plants, and had thought they'd help with the cigarette smoke wafting through the walls from our partying (alas in the time of COVID) neighbors. Maybe they do, maybe they do. They are delightful to look at and yes, following Prince Charles's lead, I chat with them. They never answer, of course, but I imagine that they perk up.


1 comment:

  1. I have great memories of all your basil plants in the New York apartment and that grear garlicky pesto you used to make when you harvested them!

    ReplyDelete