Thursday, February 18, 2021

Boomer Vegan Curry

Even a boomer like me, who can't give up milk, cream, and the occasional chicken with crispy skin, goes for emergent cuisines. I like to combine the ease of Betty Crocker with the palate of the modern age. Although I am perfectly capable of assembling my own set of spices, I found this product handy:


But of course a bottled curry is rarely as zingy as I want it, so I added more of some key ingredients, namely coriander and garlic, garlic, garlic. The other ingredients, potatoes, red and orange bell peppers, red onions and carrots, enjoyed a brief stir-fry before I mooshed in the curry paste, the extra coriander and a dash of cumin. I can't remember whether I threw in grated ginger, but you can never go wrong with grated ginger. After all was nicely mixed, I stirred in 400 ml (around 14 oz) of creamy coconut milk:

I let the mixture bubble, bubble, boil with no trouble before turning it down to a brief simmer and serving it over red cargo rice. Pairs nicely with red wine: 

The nice thing about curry is its inexactitude. Only have an eight-ounce can of coconut milk? That's okay. Add a little vegetable broth. In fact, add that anyway. You can add it dry to the fourteen-ounces of coconut milk or reconstituted in boiling water to the eight ounces of coconut milk. Or perhaps you prefer less coconut milk anyway. But I love the stuff. Could swim in it. 

A tasty desert after this meal: candied ginger with the last of the wine.



No comments:

Post a Comment