Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Maurice Sendak Impeachment

"Because he can," is the reality of Donald Trump, David Leonhardt remarks in an OP-ED piece for The New York Times. The losing side cares a great deal, and I'm still hoping that the motif of the American underdog who, against all odds, wins the day--I'm hoping that motif will weave itself into a story that ends with the would-be emperor being deposed. Even Mike Pence would be better than this thing we call a POTUS. When I listen to the Republicans and to the president's lawyers, I can't help but remember Maurice Sendak's grumpy child, Pierre, who answers his mother's every question with "I don't care": 


The Republican Party these days, is Pierre, but we'll all get swallowed by the lion. Since we're not living in a children's story, the lion's not going to burp us up and give us a chance to say "I care," before politely bringing us home and staying on as a weekend guest. We can care about politics, we can care about issues instead of identities, we can create yet another lone heroic underdog, a Mr. or Ms. Smith who comes to Washington to care, a person who will persuade the wavering Republicans to waver no more, but to care more about the country's survival than they do about their political careers.

6 comments:

  1. It's very depressing to witness America's dysfunctional government right now. This behavior by Republicans is what polarizes the Dems. I cannot believe they are selling their souls for this narcissistic bully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By "they" I mean Republican senators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, soul-selling seems the order of the day, doesn't it? Radix malorum est cupiditas . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. One hopes it will come back to bite them, but injustice has become the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used to follow politics, and years ago, visiting Germany, and other European countries, I was constantly asked about American politics but barely knew who was president at the time.

    I pay more attention now. I had only one child, having had a sense of the cost of private school and college. Mt. Sinai Hospital charged us nearly 15K cash out of pocket that our BC/BS insurance at the time refused to pay back in 1990. We paid.

    My husband once remarked that our son's 2-3 day a week nursery school cost more than his senior year at Princeton.

    Our son has realized he is never going to be able to afford to have a wife and children, and has disdained the idea. I can't blame him. We met one of the loves of his life, a French woman, when we were in Paris a few years ago. We loved her! Our son loved her! They had no future, unfortunately. He is still unable to support himself, let alone a wife, and she was ready to have babies. She found a Finnish husband/father, and had a son a few years ago. I would have loved to be her Mother-in-law and lived in a 3 generation household in our NY apartment, but it was not to be.

    You are so fortunate to have moved to Germany and have been able to raise a family of three on the salary of two academics. This almost never happens in the US today. You have had national health care, and paid-for university educations for your children.

    You got a much better life by moving abroad. Only you have to speak German every day, a language I studied in HS but never really learned. My Austrian neighbor used to comment on how bad my German was, but I studied German in HS thinking I would never get a chance to go there. It was just an academic requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, America is tragically divided between the very poor and the very rich--you've described the situation very well. Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete