Thursday, May 30, 2024

Trumpty Dumpty Had a 34-Count Fall

Few can resist that Trumpty-Dumpty phrase--John Lithgow produced amusing rhymes in his 2020 poetry collection, Dumpty. The banner headline of today's New York Times, TRUMP GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS, pleases me. 

I never expected the conviction, and a large part of me knows the king of the weasels is already squiggling through loopholes, but for this moment, I am pleased.

I was all set to write about mothproofing--something I'd talked myself into thinking would be less of a big deal here in Berlin. I'm surrounded by concrete. Yes, I'm a two-minute walk from a park, but the only greenery around here is my houseplants. A window ledge of cacti, another with a rubber tree and similar foliage--nothing moths enjoy. 

So I'd delayed finishing the mothproofing, though I had a very few Nexa Lotte strips tucked in among my wool and silk scarves. 

Then I heard something flapping around at midnight. A moth so fat he could barely fly was flitting around my bathroom; he looked like he'd just enjoyed a four-course meal. 

And I'd just bought a raccoon coat at the Boxhagenerplatz flea market! Oh, did I hurry off to DM the next morning to scoop up more Textilschutz-Säckchen and Nexa Lotte.


Wouldn't it be lovely Trump responded to his conviction as moths respond to Nexa Lotte and Textilschutz-Säckchen? 

I can dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment