Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Basic, Betty-Crockerish Delish: A Fish Recipe

This is creamy comfort food, and healthy, too!

You will need:

Mayonnaise

A good Dijon mustard, the kind riddled with little mustard seeds (I used a Maille á l'Ancienne that I believe I actually bought in Dijon, but anything will do. Pommery is fine)

A smooth creamy sharp mustard

An herbal salt--I used Silk Route Seasoned Sea Salt

Black olives (seedless)  in a jar--the bland kind, not the exquisite kind you'd put on an hors d'oeuvres plate. 

A little olive oil

Vegetable of your choice: I used zucchini

Optional: lemon juice, small red onion, pressed garlic

Instructions:

Pre-heat the oven to 200º celsius (About 390 Fahrenheit).

Grease a medium-sized Pyrex baking dish with a little olive oil.  Place the slices of salmon side by side in the dish. I used two 300-gram slices (around 10.5 oz) for two big eaters. The usual recommendation is around 200 grams (but to me, that's if you're planning a dessert to follow the meal, which I was not).

In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, sharp mustard, and herbal salt to taste. I used about three parts mayo and one part mustards--around a tablespoon of the Dijon and slightly less of the sharp. But mix and taste. When you like what you've got, spread it on the fish. Thickly. 

Drain the olives in a sieve and rinse. If they're not already sliced, slice them and spoon them over the fish.

Put fish in pre-heated oven for about half an hour or a bit more. Less if you're using only around 200 grams. You'll probably need to bake it for at least twenty minutes, but if you want the topping crispy and more "baked in," longer is better. 

While the fish is in the oven, start your rice or potatoes--I made Jasmine rice in a rice cooker. 

Rinse and slice the zucchini and place in a large bowl into which you've put olive oil, juice of half a lemon, a chopped small red onion, and some pressed cloves of garlic. And a little more herbal salt. Toss mixture and sauté. 

I should have waited to photograph this before I stuck my fork in it, but I was too hungry: 






No comments:

Post a Comment