Tuesday, November 12, 2019

This is the Way We Say Goodbye: Living Until the Last Minute

It's a luxury, being able to say goodbye at all. I tell myself that it's better to have loved and lost but the losing goes on, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. We hold hands and talk of mortgages, taxes, the damp spot in the guest bedroom wall that needs repair. 
The young doctor comes in, yanks at his stethoscope, asks, "What was your profession?" My husband and I look at each other. The past tense hangs around a man still living, still breathing, still practicing his profession--a dissertation lies on his hospital table. We read the fine print on the pharmacy description of the chemo we've been told has "no side effects," and find listed among numerous "unintentional results" the word "death." We laugh because we're crying.
"It's just death," we say, "just death!"
We talk of the suddenly vegan child, who last week demanded I buy him chicken ("I had to buy a Döner I was so hungry!") but who now does not wish to consume said chicken. We smile. We wish we could go on having our little talks and jokes about things the children are doing, what kind of wine we're having with dinner, and what we'll watch when we've gotten to the end of The Crown. We gloat over the kids again, toting up their successes, reminiscing about them, about the beginning of the romance, about love. We go back to small talk and holding hands, each of us afraid he's going to die tomorrow. 
And then he does, when I'm not there, but at least I'd read him the 23rd psalm in English and in German. I'm told his departure was fast and painless.

8 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh. So sorry. So devastating. So fast. Yes, living until...not.
    So so sorry to hear this.
    Hugs to you and the children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. We lost him early in the morning on November 10th

      Delete
    2. If ever a person deserved to live a longer life it was Josef. How things change and quickly. I am so saddened. Grateful to have spent that week in Essen with you last year. You capture the intimacy of these last days. xoxox j

      Delete
  2. I am so glad I introduced you to Josef and of all the happiness (and children!) that followed that introduction. I will miss his calm demeanor and his kindness. High intelligence and creativity are common among Ph.D.'s, but those first gifts of J's are far too rare. I will miss him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this. I suspected all was not well since we heard about your Mum's summer vacation and not yours. Now I must finish reading your book. I left off just after you met Josef.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I'm just reading this now. I'm so sorry. You have had more than your share of difficulty and sorrow. When I first met you you were going out with a man who didn't want kids and marriage. You found someone who wanted them, and lived the life you wanted. So sorry your time with Josef was cut short.

    ReplyDelete