Wednesday, August 7, 2019

After El Paso And Dayton

 That such a slave as this should wear a sword,
Who wears no honesty. Such smiling rogues as these
Like rats oft bite the holy cords atwain . . .
King Lear, 2.2.70-73



"Hate has no place in America,” the president said. “Hatred warps the mind, ravages the heart and devours the soul.”
Watching his face, I thought of those criminal nurses who get a kick out of putting someone in a coma and then reviving them. Being thought of as a hero. Anything for admiration.
Trump's words said one thing. His eyes, his face, said the reverse.  Like a child forced to apologize and who sneers out a savage "Sorry!" Trump insulted America again, refusing to dethrone the NRA and partying at home. No one really expected him to support universal background checks or to enforce red flag laws. Or to sing hymns or hold hands with the families of victims. His role is to make deals, not to govern, not to help, not to pray, not to sympathize. Not to heal.
He is still trying to sell himself to Americans who didn't vote for him, while apologizing to some of the white supremacists who did. "You know I have to say this stuff," his eyes telegraphed, "and you know I don't mean it."
We know Trump doesn't mean that what "warps the mind" and "ravages the heart . . . devours the soul" is a problem--as long as he can make money or gain power. 
 The day after the election, when everyone I knew was swimming in sorrow, and when I said, "it's a sad day when Trump is elected," a stranger said, "I voted for him!"
I couldn't turn on my heel and walk out of the room--we were both receiving chemotherapy and had to sit opposite one another. But I was curious. As the medicine dripped into our veins, I asked her why.
"He's going to fix health care," she said. "He's a businessman." She didn't particularly like him, but she had faith in his competence. 
So many believed, still believe, that he cares. Or, like the woman who believed he could fix health care, and who had ovarian cancer, were desperate. The odds of her being alive are slim, but if she is, I hope she's changed her mind.

4 comments:

  1. Your post is spot on. I live in Manhattan, and never have seen a MAGA hat wearer, except on TV. I have met tourists in midtown looking for Trump Tower, and very kindly have not misdirected them to 721 Fifth Avenue, at the NEC of 56th Street. The needed security has cost NY taxpayers millions.

    The only local Trump supporters I know are the ones who are thrilled their taxes went down. They hold private fundraisers for Trump in their huge apartments, townhouses, country houses and beach houses. I used to work for a couple of these Masters of the Universe. I can't imagine the atmosphere in my former offices now.

    Don't the Trump fans realize he has made several attempts to remove their healthcare, and the Social Security and Medicare are next? Last week, they were busy cutting food stamp rolls, this week, it is demonizing aspiring green card holders from availing themselves of any government services.

    Are they going to block the doors of the New York Public Library to non-citizens next? What an awful country we have become, in such a short time. It makes me glad to be old and likely to die son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. It's an incredibly difficult time, but I hope somehow America manages to elect a democrat instead of POTUS Plutocrat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to hope, hope, hope. Dems need to choose among themselves and get everyone to back ONE. Divided we will fail.

    ReplyDelete