Saturday, April 13, 2019

Pharmacy Follies and the Cancer Couple

I went to fill my husband's prescription for the new, gene-targeting cancer drugs that we hope will save his life at the local pharmacy and the clerk toting up the cost said, "Oh, this will be expensive." But I had my bank card with me. No problem!
My bank card doesn't let me charge more than 2,000 euros in a single day--something I've never been in danger of doing. The bill for my husband's meds came to over 5,000 euros--also more than twice what's currently in my account. 
We made an arrangement with the pharmacy. This is Germany! Generous, golden Germany--"we know you," said the smiling clerk,  suggesting she bill us at the end of the month, a move which will allow my husband to fill out his health insurance forms and possibly even be reimbursed by the time we have to pay that bill.
Meanwhile, I handed over my prescriptions, the ones they fill for me every month, the ones that keep me living a relatively normal life with almost no hair loss and only slight breathlessness, and lo! This month, one of them was "unavailable."
"But I get it here every month," I said.
"Well, it will have to be produced by the factory," said the clerk. They special ordered it. There's a shortage, they said. They hope they'll get it to me in ten days. 
I called the oncologist's office and they do have an emergency supply in a slightly lower dosage that I can take if the pharmacy doesn't come through. I just looked on Doc Bestendonk, which we've previously used for stuff like Sinupret and Umckaloabo, and found that in three-to-five business days I can get the tablets I need for 2.741,61 euros. Which is 130.55 euros per pill. Imagine what that costs in Donald Trump's America. No, don't. If I send my prescription. And pay for it myself. Even in golden Germany. But I think my pharmacy will probably come through . . . stay tuned. 
P.S. And they did come through! Even sooner than they'd promised.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your husband's recent diagnosis, on top of your own mishugas.

    Persist! Be glad you are in Germany and not the US, where both of you would likely have been dead already in the American No-Healthcare situation. It sound's as though you have raised great kids. Involve them in helping you and your husband, without limiting their futures.

    Want to know what Ibrance costs in the US? 12 Grand a month. I have New York State insurance for it now that I may likely lose in the next few weeks. I am terrified. It has been a great and wonderful drug for me, taken with Letrazole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know about the horrific costs: http://volneyroadreview.com/2019/03/01/issue-1-2-essay-melissa-knox-strong-medicine-but-do-you-need-it-on-being-a-cancer-patient-in-germany/
    Have you tried the pink fund? (Susan Komen)--hope you get your meds and thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TCM, Thank you for your reply. I read your essay when it first was published, and just re-read it. Checked Amazon, and bought your memoir. Your scholarly writings are beyond my capabilities and interests. Your CV is amazing, as are your insights into your/our situations, and your can-do spirit.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And thrilled that you bought my memoir. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  3. P.S. And if you do like it and wouldn't mind putting up a five-star review, that'll help me sell it. Just did a podcast, too: https://giveandtake.fireside.fm/159

    ReplyDelete