Friday, February 9, 2018

Surgically Yours: Frankenstein & Me



Look at that face. But even more, look at that forehead. The face approximates the mood of my leg, the forehead scars the look. I am Frankensteinian. I wonder whether I'll ever be able to go through airport metal detectors, I should live so long. A huge rod now sits in the center of what's left of my femur, extending, like the lonely monster's hopes, into my hip. But I can walk with crutches, and was just within yelling distance of a delivery man who, by the time I hobbled down the stairs, had just flipped his "be back later" note through the letterbox and vanished. It was nice of him to return. 
I feel likely to become an assemblage of parts in my quest for survival. Parts of me, the cancerous parts, will be discarded, and the empty holes filled with whatever surgeons use. I cannot seem to gather myself into a sensible state of mind. A shower takes all my concentration, and I used the laundry basket as a walker until I could lay my hands on my crutches. Once I'd changed the bandage on my Franky-leg, it seemed time for a nap again. What's a nice girl like me doing with Stage 4 breast cancer? The tablespoon of sugar I need in my supersized cup of extremely strong morning café-au-lait? The coffee itself? I like it strong enough to walk on, and I always grind a lot of beans for a little bit of water. Once in a while, at least once a week, I eat a chocolate bar. The extra estrogen naturally swimming through my system, and which helped me produce three lovely children at an age when many women are grandmothers? The glass or two of red wine, nightly, that I used to enjoy? I drink much less than the doctors on Gray's Anatomy. I exercised much more, too, ate my turmeric, avocado, garlic, and ginger. Avoided the grapefruit and tangerines. The longing to know "what I could do"--to derail the disease--not using lipstick or hairdye? Avoiding alcohol, sugar, and other small pleasures?--is positively Frankenstinian. Life in the uncertainty zone is monstrous. Some flip of the genes seems the culprit, and elusive as the monster, whose maker chased his unwanted creation across the ice for long distances, and fruitlessly.

10 comments:

  1. wish i could think of something more original to say than "hang in there" and "fuck cancer" but unfortunately i just can't. this just sucks. hope you'll be around for at least fifty more awesome and painless years, and wishing you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just re-found your blog after not having read it for a couple years. I am heartbroken that you are having to fight cancer. So unfair. And now you have mets to your bones. Damn it. Thank you for keeping on blogging. I am rooting for you; I too have papers to grade, and teenagers, and pets. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Will try to keep coming up with interesting topics! Health--it seems always there, and how I took it for granted--and now it's gone. Buy I am still enjoying myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad effing genes and epigenetics are your lot. But your spirit is amazing!
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of this progression, and that Ibrance (palbociclib )did not work for you. You posted a few times last November at the Inspire Advanced Breast Cancer Community. Please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will look for that again! Hope I can find it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this group helpful: http://www.advancedbreastcancercommunity.org/

    You and I have posted there before.

    I am not in quite the same situation as you are, but may be some day soon. My PCP, who has had dozens of cancer scares, due to a weird mutation that caused the colon cancer that killed her Father at age 37, advised me to just go out and live my life.

    BC may kill both of us, but I hope we are both intent on having a great time before we go.

    ReplyDelete