Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Critical Mom's Conversations With Her Kids

"So have your friends changed since you've known them in fifth grade?"
"Well . . . (thoughtful pause) A is taller, and B is taller, and C is taller, and D is taller . .  ."
"Uh,"
"Is that what you wanted to know Mom?"
"I mean . .  ."
"Also A. is still a human, B is a human, C is a human, and D is a Homo Sapiens.  OK, Mom?"

This morning, this sub-zero morning, I insisted that my other kid put on his warm Winter jacket, a conversation that resolves itself in ever-inventive ways almost every morning.

"Mom, stay out of my personal affairs!" said he.

"Good vocabulary," commented my husband.

I put a meal in front of my daughter.  "Mommy, I did not ASK for that!"

Oh, it is the Christmas season.  Ho ho ho.  Merry Merry Merry.  And as soon as they all have enough sleep, they'll be angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment