Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Happy Birthday to Blog": The Critical Mom Turns One

A year ago to the day, my then thirteen-year-old doctored around with my computer and set up this blog, following a stroll down the beach during a disconcertingly disappointing vacation.  It was hot as blazes and humid as New York, although we were in Nantucket, which was supposed to be the breezy antidote to the unbearable city air.  Instead, we had to smear anti-tick essential oils on ankles, wrists and necks before we went out, and I had to dribble peppermint oil all over his bed to dispel bedbugs.  On the beach I used to go to as a child, Dionis, I had promised his younger brother and sister that maybe we would find the clay cliffs that used to be there, near a rock in which quartz pebbles spelled out "Sachem Springs."  I found not the rock but the cliffs, scooped one small handful, and got screamed at by a man who then belted out the perils of cliff erosion.
I thought he was exaggerating until a friend, a native, said, "I have seen a house fall off a cliff."  
As my elder son and I strolled down the pebble beach observing the blue, and still lovely horizon, he came up with the idea that I could write a blog.  And I thank him still, from the bottom of my heart.

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Blah-blah (keep blah-blahing on) Blog
Happy Birthday to you


The year has proved anything but uneventful, and I'm delighted to have two followers. Several readers whom I don't know drop in and comment from time to time and several friends regularly read the blog.  I invite you all to invite your friends to read, and to click on those ads, too.  The Critical Mom would be more than delighted to hear from readers about issues they'd like for her to cover.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday little blog, and many happy returns! When you're all grown up, all this (wide sweeping movement across the entire internet) will be yours. :) You deserve more than two followers. Have some cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee. If only if weren't for that diet . . .

    ReplyDelete