Saturday, April 2, 2022

Of Maskless Men and Train Cars

Yesterday, I took four trains to come home to Germany from a wonderful vacation in France. On each train announcements were made in up to four languages to the tune of: "Masks are required! They should cover your mouth and nose!"  On two trains (between major cities) a fine of 95 euro was announced--to be levied on those who declined to wear masks. 

Why do so many guys roll their eyes and rip off their masks? Right after the announcement? Or wear them as chin guards? Or grudgingly cover their mouths only? Or everything's asymmetrical? Half the mouth covered, one nostril protected, everything else hanging out to infect?

There sat I in my FFP3 (an N95) watching the contemptuous dudes blibber into their cell phones. Chomp their chocolates. Sit grinning.

On my final train, a young man removed his shoes, placing his feet (with socks) on the seat in front of him, but occasionally scratching said feet as if they itched intensely. His mask slid slowly down his nose until only his mouth was covered. As he, too, pushed the mask to his chin and began to gobble chocolate, I noted that my journey would only last another twenty minutes. 

I think my mask fended off COVID. But I'll continue to be tested. I wish all those dumb dudes out there knew how unsexy they are when they pull off their masks. 

2 comments: