Saturday, December 29, 2018

Palliative Care: Our House and Our Heroic Cleaning Lady

We have a wonderful cleaning lady who appears on time twice weekly and does what she can with us. But now that we have a few days off and I'm trying to do what my daughter calls "deep cleaning," I see that our cleaning lady's strenuous efforts are little more than a band-aid on a gaping wound.  I daydream about the staff of eight or ten that would, in Victorian times, have routinely maintained a home this size. Of course if we'd lived back then we'd be dealing with Victorian drains and antibiotics wouldn't have been invented . . . still, thoughts of a brisk, efficient maid tidying up the bookshelves while another brisk, efficient maid goes for the kitchen and yet a third folds the laundry--ah, these are pleasant dreams.

Part One: The Sofa

Looks lovely and is great to lie on. Folded all the blankets strewn around by late-night TV watchers, dusted the pillows, then pulled the whole thing out from the wall. So that's where two blue crocs that don't match went! I've been wearing their mates for the last six months. Also a pair of green crocs that my daughter may have outgrown, a pair of black crocs, a single multicolored croc whose mate is probably upstairs near my ballet barre, centuries of dust, old Cheerios, and a pair of orange glasses decorated with a dead spider.

Part Two: The Kitchen

Yesterday, one of the teenagers removed eight bags of garbage and indicated the fact on the calendar, where he also indicated that another sibling must now "do it twice!" or more, since he's done that himself . . . my teenagers love to fight about whose turn it is to remove the trash. Oh, excuse me, in my opinion. Meanwhile, the stove is a grease slick, the wok needs cleaning before I make dinner tonight, and what am I doing three flights up in my freezing study typing?

Part Three: The Bedroom

I removed the ancient quilt that was leaving a trail of feathers behind it, removed it as far as the laundry pile in the bathroom. Did I say pile? I meant the laundry mountain. Several laundry baskets of clean folded laundry adorn the bedroom floor. I won't tell you how long they've been there.

But we threw out the paper trash a few days ago!

2 comments:

  1. I get it about cleaning--it has been happening on an incremental basis here for several months, after a forced march into our apartment last January by building personnel who needed to replace some of the pipes in the walls of 4 of our 5 rooms.

    We have no cleaning help--you are fortunate to able to employ them. You also have your own washing machine, something we are forced to go to the basement of our building and wait in line and pay dearly to use.

    JHC, please put your strong and robust teenagers to work for you, when it comes to any housework or cooking! I am amazed you are still working, under the circumstances.

    Tonight is New Year's Eve in NYC. The TV is dusty, since we don't use it very often, but I may fire it up to watch a whole lot of total fools standing in the cold rain in cattle containment cordons, to watch the ball fall.

    I made Cassoulet tonight for New Year's eve, and duck for dinner on 25 December.

    Hoppin' John and collard greens are in the works for New Year's day.

    These are holiday dishes I have come to enjoy that were not necessarily from my own family's traditions.

    I have scanxiety, with results arriving next week. I have not communicated this to my family. I'd rather not discuss health issues at dinner, or with anyone who does not have a need to know.

    I am just trying to enjoy the time I have left here.

    Enjoying food together is one of the ways I do this.

    Our son is home for New Year's for the first time in several years, after getting his degree from Edinburgh and working in Asia for a few years.

    My best to you and your family for the new year!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, anonymous! I'm going to look up recipes for the dishes you mention. "Hoppin' John" sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete